Written by: Jen Cox - AdvDip NAT + WHM. @keeperandkin
We’re at the back end of a school year and boy are the kids (read: parents) feeling it. If my own are anything to go by, complaining that they’re too hot and/or hungry for anything other than immediate ice cream is high on the agenda right now.
To help weather that particular storm, we’ve rustled up a nice cooling after school snack for hungry bods. It’s gut friendly, very fast to make and conveniently fills 2 after school sized snack bowls.
Why it’s good for your gut:
- Bananas are a prebiotic, found in this study here to reduce bloating and assist with weight management in the women who participated in the study.
- Peppermint essential oil is known to reduce bloating and cramping when digestion is under pressure. It’s also a cooling herb so perfect for a hot day.
- The added boost of greens and probiotics from your PONO Gorgeous Greens will nourish the microbiome, promoting more vibrant digestion across the board.
- It’s dairy free.
Why your kids will like it:
- It has choc chips (win) which are interchangeable with cacao nibs if you think you may get away with it.
- It resembles ice cream juuuuuust enough for you to get away with filing it under ‘treat’
- In the incredibly unlikely event of leftovers, these can be frozen in popsicle moulds for another day.
To make this you’ll need:
250g of chopped, frozen banana
50ml of coconut mylk *may be a touch more or less depending on your blender, just enough to get the mix moving and creamy
1 tablespoon of choc chips or cacao nibs with extra to serve
2 tspns of PONO Gorgeous Greens
1 teeny weeny toothpick dip of food grade Peppermint Essential Oil
A dash of maple syrup, to taste
Step 1: In a high speed blender, blitz your frozen banana and gradually add the coconut mylk until the combo is smooth, creamy but scoopable firm.
Step 2: take a toothpick and pop one drop - yes just ONE drop of Peppermint Essential Oil onto it. It’s very easy to overdo the flavour! Dab the minty toothpick into the banana mix and blitz to combine. Have a taste, then add any maple or even indulge in a second dab(you rebel) if the mint flavour needs more oomph.
Step 3: take the blending down to a stir and add in your choc chips (or cacao nibs if using) and the Gorgeous Greens powder. Stir till combined - this will help keep your probiotics safe and healthy.
Step 4: serve and enjoy! Top with extra choc chips or nips if you’re feeling fancy.