Written by: Jen Cox - AdvDip NAT + WHM. @keeperandkin
This soup starts with mild ingredients and finishes off with a supercharged flavour bomb. Things get tangy, a bit spicy and oh so kind to your immune system.
What we love about the ingredients:
Ginger and turmeric - both of these are super anti-inflammatory. This means they can help with aches, pains and the first signs of a cold.
Apple Cider Vinegar - known for its digestive loving nature, this inclusion will help your gut break down other foods to get the best from them.
Garlic - it’s anti-just-about-everything (anti-bacterial, antiviral, antifungal… the list goes on.)
Bone broth - packs a collagen loaded gut health punch and can contribute to the healing required for a strong immune defence.
Spring onions - for their vitamin C content and antibacterial properties
Zucchini - are high in antioxidants, keeps the nutrient content + good vibes high.
What you’ll need for the soup
Makes 2 x serves
500ml of Chicken Broth **A great recipe to make this at home was created by Lee Holmes and can be found here… or buy a sachet from a company you know who a) cooks the bones for a looooong time and b) uses quality ingredients.
1 x sachet of spiralized zucchini OR 250g of thick courgetti - a simply EXCELLENT word - made with your garden variety vegetable peeler.
1 x chicken breast
Salt and pepper to season
Extra water/broth if needed to poach the chook
For the flavour bomb
3 tbsps of Apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 x lemon
1 x clove of garlic, crushed
Tbspn diced spring onion
1cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tspn ground Turmeric
Pinch of chilli flakes
How to make it:
- Pop your chicken breast into a pot, pour the broth over then season generously. To poach properly, liquid will need to cover the chooky with a couple of cm to spare, so add some extra water or broth if you have it now, if that’s required. Now turn the stove onto a medium heat.
- Bring the chicken pot slowly up to an only just simmer then turn down to low and cover, cooking for 12 or so minutes at reduced heat (or until the chicken breast is cooked through.)
- Remove the chicken to rest for 3 minutes and keep the cooking broth for your soup.
- Bring the heat back up, adding the courgetti to warm through. This only takes a minute or two, so is a good time to dum all the flavour bomb ingredients together in a vessel and stir to combine.
- Take the soup of the heat and divide the broth/courgetti into two bowls.
- Thinly slice the chicken and place on top on the soups, then douse with your flavour bomb and serve. We recommend that you start with a tablespoon to begin with - stir and taste it - then work up to more if you’re into the spice or needing and influx of immune loving ingredients, stat.